Rechercher dans ce blog

Saturday, March 12, 2022

JANICE WELLS: If you truly support the seal industry, put your money where your mouth is - Saltwire

ragamnyakabar.blogspot.com

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — Let’s talk seals. 
Last month the Fish, Food and Allied Workers Union (FFAW) launched an awareness campaign to highlight the devastating impact seal overpopulation has on our Atlantic fish stocks.
The news release reiterated a fact that most Newfoundlanders and Labradorians are familiar with; it is undeniable how much fish seals consume, and the effect this has on cod stocks and the livelihoods of fish harvesters. 
Seals are doing quite well. In 1960, the grey seal population was  6,000.  Today it's 400,000. 
Harp seals population went from 1.5 million in 1965, to an estimated 7.6 million at last count in 2008. 
An adult grey seal can consume up to two tonnes of prey each year. With an estimated 400,000 grey seals, that amounts to 800,000 tonnes of prey consumed annually, the FFAW said.
The last assessment of harp seals equals 4.2 million tonnes of prey each year. 
Seals are consuming far more codfish than the entire commercial fishery in Newfoundland and Labrador. People like you and me have a cod catch limit; seals have no limits.
FFAW president Keith Sullivan says, “We know the effect this population explosion of seals is having on the marine ecosystem. It’s time for the federal government to stop covering up an environmental catastrophe while touting a conservation driven agenda.” 

Wearing animal fur has been the natural order of things since humans evolved. Ashley Sweetland photo - Contributed
Wearing animal fur has been the natural order of things since humans evolved. Ashley Sweetland photo - Contributed


I couldn’t agree more and it’s an uphill battle. 
A couple of years ago, I wore my sealskin jacket on a trip to Nova Scotia. Two of my friends who should have known better raised their eyes and made some sort of comments about my bravery, with criticism unspoken but implied. 
I wear my sealskin jacket with pride. Here in Newfoundland, people often say “I like your jacket” and I often reply “I’m proud to wear it.”
I’ve had no negative remarks (and I’m ready if I do), but I have had some that prompt me to put the cost of wearing sealskin into some sort of perspective. 
One woman, after telling me she loved my jacket, said “I wish I had your money.”
I laughed and said “if you only knew!” 


“We know the effect this population explosion of seals is having on the marine ecosystem. It’s time for the federal government to stop covering up an environmental catastrophe while touting a conservation driven agenda.” —  Keith Sullivan



I am a prime example that you don’t have to have a lot of money to wear sealskin. You have to have some, of course. You have to have enough for a week for two in an all-inclusive down south. A friend questioned my figures saying you wouldn’t have to spend anything near $6,000 for a week down south.
I told her that maybe she should shop around. My coat cost $2,500 from a business in Heart’s Content called Sealskin Treasures. It would have been less without the hood. I was measured for a perfect fit. (It’s not their fault that it’s shrinking. All of my clothes are — ha. )
Newman and I hadn’t been on a holiday for five years. You do the math. We’ve travelled since, not on a week junket down south, and you don’t get far for $2,500. 
So, then along comes COVID and for at least one year everyone’s travel plans were put on hold. I’m talking to the fortunate ones whose income wasn’t adversely affected and we know who we are.

I made this little sealskin wallet in the Jubilee Guild 55 years ago. The fur is worn thin but it’s still giving good service. Janice Wells photo - Janice Wells
I made this little sealskin wallet in the Jubilee Guild 55 years ago. The fur is worn thin but it’s still giving good service. Janice Wells photo - Janice Wells


Even with things opening up in recent months, you probably still haven’t spent what you would have in travel over the past two years. Why not support our fishery by buying a sealskin product? Jackets, boots, bags, vests, hats, headbands, earmuffs, jewellery, etc. — there’s lots to choose from in any price range. 
Be proud to wear sealskin. The seal hunt is part of our history and culture and is both humane and sustainable. I can’t think of another industry that has been as vilified with falsehoods, misinformation and greed as certain animal rights organizations blatantly lie to solicit money out of supporters who don’t know any of the facts.
If you feel like I do, introduce some sealskin into your life. Also, consider visiting ffaw.ca to sign the petition calling on the House of Commons to “take action to control seal populations that are threatening the viability of our inshore fisheries and coastal communities.”
The spirits of sealers past will thank you.


Janice Wells writes from St. John’s.

Adblock test (Why?)



"seal" - Google News
March 12, 2022 at 05:57PM
https://ift.tt/PowMnVU

JANICE WELLS: If you truly support the seal industry, put your money where your mouth is - Saltwire
"seal" - Google News
https://ift.tt/UKamrFL
https://ift.tt/5Vnh13w

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Featured Post

This North Texas city has asked large trucks to avoid its quaint downtown. They come anyway - Yahoo News

ragamnyakabar.blogspot.com Glen Rose’s downtown — lined with boutiques, antique shops, bookstores and cafes in early 20th century building...

Postingan Populer